The rheological properties of any polymer or plastic material are one of the most important things to determine for better quality assurance. With the analysis of the rheological properties of polymers, one can easily determine the various qualities and properties of a given material. The melt flow rate is a major indicator of the rheological properties of any plastic or polymer. With the help of melt flow index, the manufacturers of plastics can get information about the chemical composition as well as molecular structure. This helps them in deciding the best conditions for molding process of a particular material. The manufacturers need to ensure that the plastic products they are molding are made from best quality resins or plastic granules and for that, melt flow rate can be very helpful. The Melt flow index tester is the instrument that is used for testing the melt flow rate of a given material in the laboratory.
The Melt flow rate is basically the amount of material that flows in a molten state from a die of given diameter in every ten minutes. For testing the MFI, the test specimen is melted at a specific temperature and then it is passed through the orifice die of the instrument under a given amount of specific load. This load is decided as per the standard. The sample is cut from the die after ten minutes. This sample is then weighed on a digital balance which gives the melt flow rate of the sample.
Highlights of Presto’s Melt Flow Index tester
- The device is equipped with a microprocessor based PID temperature controller cum indicator for efficient temperature control along with an HMI touchscreen panel that allows easy setting of the test parameters.
- The high rate of repeatability is offered with a digital preset timer.
- The features of manual cutting, as well as automatic cutting of the sample, are available with the instrument.
- The orifice die of the instrument is made from high quality Die Steel.
- Rust free finish provided with powder coated paint.
Technical features of Presto’s Melt Flow Index Tester
- The instrument can offer a temperature range from 00 C to 4000
- The temperature resolution of the instrument is 10 C with an accuracy of 0.10
- The instrument comes with additional dead weights of value 1.2 kg, 2.16kg, 3.8 kg, 5kg and 10 kg on special request of customers.
- The instrument is in compliance with different international quality standards such as ASTM D1238-13 and ISO 1133
Application Of Melt Flow Index Tester In PET Industries
In PET industries, when the preform is manufactured, the resin from which they are manufactured, need to be tested thoroughly so that the best quality of final products could be achieved. With the determination of melt flow index of the resins, the manufacturers of the preform can ensure that the molding process for the manufacturing is carefully chosen and there is no chance of inducing any defect in the preforms.
With the high accuracy and precision offered by Presto’s Melt flow Index Tester makes it easier for the users to quickly calculate the MFI of a given material and ensure the best quality of the products.