Ozone is one of the fundamental forms of Oxygen, which is composed of three atoms of Oxygen. It is an unstable water-soluble gas with an acrid odor and strong oxidizing properties. The word Ozone is derived from the Greek word ‘ozien’ meaning ‘to smell’. Ozone decomposes quickly and turns into regular oxygen. When the extra oxygen atom splits from the Ozone molecule one of two things, happen disinfection and oxidation. Ozone makes the air smell fresh and pure. In our earth’s natural atmosphere Ozone is produced by high voltage electricity generated by lightning which converts the diatomic oxygen (O2) molecules to form tri-atomic Ozone (O3).
Characteristics of Ozone Environment
- Toxic Fumes
- Corrosive environment
- Accelerates burning
- Heavier than air and oxygen
- Acrid door
Ozone Chamber by Presto Stantest
To test the quality of rubber materials under the ozone environment, it is necessary to make use of high-quality of Ozone Chambers. By understanding this need of testing, Presto manufactures premium quality of Ozone Chambers. This test chamber is made up of material which does not react with ozone i.e. SS 304. It should have sufficient air-ozone throughput rate, sufficient internal circulation & sufficient internal volume. The instrument is assembled with the temperature controller units to set the temperature up to 40 ± 2 degree Celsius. The rate of ozone inside the chamber can be controlled by adjusting the input power. Presto’s ozone chamber acts as a thermostat to control ozone generators and alarms based device that work on an adjustable ozone set-point.
Precautions While Installing Ozone Chambers
- First, verify that the instrument is working as received. Connect your AC adapter to the power jack.
- The sensor must be conditioned to burn off chemicals it may have absorbed during shipping and storage before it develops full ozone sensitivity. Allow 1-8 hours warm-up before attempting to test the instrument and at least 24 hours before using the instrument.
- It is recommended to test the instrument for positive response with an ozone generator when the instrument is received and again at the site where the instrument is installed.
- You can now connect the Ozone Switch to external devices such as ozone to be controlled or an alarm circuit. Disconnect the power to the generator control wiring and the DC power to the instrument while connecting the wiring.
- Bring the external wiring through the bottom access hole of the device or drill the access holes as required.
- Do not leave oils, solvents, or greases on, in, or near the Instrument. Their fumes, however, minor, can cancel the instrument’s ozone responsiveness.